This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

PFC Fonts

Topics: General
Dec 3, 2014 at 5:50 PM
Has anyone considered updating the font used in the PFC?

It's universally "MS Sans Serif", which really doesn't travel to Windows 7 very well. I found that a global search/replace to "Arial" was a really nice improvement, but I hate to go forward with my own framework.
Dec 3, 2014 at 6:34 PM
Edited Dec 3, 2014 at 6:35 PM
We use Tahoma 10 at my place of work. Use the PFE layer to change the font of the inherited objects. I also use this layer to set things like default size/border and add edit rules. One example edit rule is for spinner editMasks. I have added logic to make sure that if the user enters a value directly, that it falls within the Min/Max allowed values of the spinner.

Anytime I update/migrate, I only do the PFC layer. The PFE layer is for you to make site specific changes to the PFC and not be directly affected by PFC changes. It doesn't take long to change. Hope this is helpful.
Dec 3, 2014 at 6:54 PM
Interesting, thanks for your insight. We use a corporate layer, and I can see your solution working for things like windows controls, which are inherited. I'm still wondering about datawindows in the PFC layer, though.
Dec 3, 2014 at 7:29 PM
Good point. When I first joined the development team I asked for a standards document, but none was forth coming. You can always suggest a font change by posting it as an issue. I would be fine doing it, but would need some kind of consensus. In the meantime, another trick I use to support multiple versions of code is to create my own copies of the PFC dataWindows with the required changes and place them higher in the target path. This could easily be done using the PFE or your PFD layer and just place the PFE higher in the target path. PowerBuilder will pick yours up instead of the one that ships with the PFC and won't generate any compile issues.